Thursday, January 24, 2013

Investing In Your Health


Isn't this picture beautiful?  Maybe it only is to me, but we LOVE fruit in this house.  We call it natures candy.  Who needs a snickers when you can have this healthy NATURAL sweetness?  Not me!  

I'm sure you have heard the old saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."  I tend to believe this is true because fruit is packed full of vitamin, minerals, and fiber.  All of these things are important to our health.  Fruit also has phytochemicals which can help in fighting against cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.  Sounds like eating fruit is a no brainer, so why don't people eat enough?

I always hear the excuse that fruit is expensive...organic fruit especially.  I USED TO BE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE!  I'm a bit ashamed of it now that I look back.  


Would you rather eat the top picture, or the bottom?  I for one would MUCH rather eat the bottom picture.  For those who think the bottom picture costs more...think again.  For my husband and I to eat fast food, three times a day, it would cost us roughly $40 ($10 breakfast and $15 for lunch and dinner).  Sure it would be cheaper if we ate off the value menu, but I know that wouldn't happen.  This doesn't even include snacks and any other drinks we would want.

In other words, for us to eat all our meals out (fast food) for ONE week would cost us $280.  That is a lot for the little amount of food you get!  

Instead, we spend on average $75 a week on groceries (mostly unprocessed and organic).  Then I spend about $50 every 2-3 months at our local locker for meat.  For the sake of easy math let's say I spend $20 a month on meat.  That is $95 a week on groceries for two people.  We eat all breakfasts at home.  I eat lunch at home and my husband takes his lunch to work.  I make 5-6 dinners at home a week for us as well. 

For $95 we are able to eat most meals from scratch.  We are eating healthy and saving money!  I know that grocery prices depend on region and store, but I think we can all agree that eating at home saves money and saves on our health.

I think it is important to look at healthy unprocessed foods as an investment in our health.  Sure I could get out of the grocery store for less money if I filled my cart with chips, cookies, and sugary cereals.  Is that really wise though? 

The next time you are in the grocery store and shocked by the cost of wholesome non processed foods STOP yourself.  Think of it as fueling your body in a natural way.  Are you tired of always going to the doctor?  Are you tired of feeling bloated and lethargic?  Are you tired of your kids bouncing off the walls with all the sugar they consume?  Changing your diet can help alleviate all of this!  You are investing in your families overall well being.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment