Friday, December 14, 2012

Cards: Saving Money and Keeping Organized

Is it just me, or are cards outrageously priced?  I love looking at cards, but I just don't see the point of spending $4 on something people are going to throw away (or in my case recycle).  Over the past two years I have implemented a system that saves me time, stress, and money on the act of card giving.  :)

Do you want in on a little secret?  It is so easy and a no brainer!  I toyed with the idea of even writing about this because I feel that a lot of you might already do this, but I am going to share anyways.

1.  I HATE when I realize I missed a birthday or anniversary.  I feel bad sending a card late.  Or I really hate when I realize someone has a birthday in just a couple days and I won't be going to a store to get a card.  I live in the middle of nowhere, so just running to Walmart isn't an option most days.  

I have alleviated this problem by grabbing a free calender from my vets office every December.  :)  You might be thinking I am crazy, but I promise I am not.  This calendar hangs in my hallway I walk by SEVERAL times a day.  On this calender I write everyone's birthday/anniversary on the appropriate day and the number of years behind it. I just transfer everything off it from the previous year. 

This is awesome for me because I see this daily and I always try to scan it when I flip the page the beginning of the month.  The best part...it is free.  A LOT of places hand out free wall calenders as Thank You's during the holiday season.  Make sure to pick one up, or you can purchase them at anywhere.  


2.  I always have cards on hand!  I am a huge fan of those boxes of cards.  I like having birthday and sympathy ones on hand.  They come in handy and they have a wide variety of designs in each box.  Plus they are really affordable!  

I also have boxes of thank you's in the house.  I currently have my Shaklee Thank You's (not shown), regular, and baby Thank You's.  I found the baby ones at the Christian Book Store for 50% off!  I made sure I grabbed a few boxes.  You never know when someone might give you something and you need to drop them a little note.  It is the polite thing to do.  :)  

Next, I really like having a few Bridal Shower, Wedding, Mother's Day, ect cards on hand.  This way if I forget to get one at the store, or if a date sneaks up on me I have one on hand.  

I like going to places like Target and Walmart to get these cards because they have sections of $.99 and $.49 cards.  If I have a few extras then I am not wasting my time and gas driving 30 miles one way to purchase a card.  Saves time and money!  

Another thing I like to do is purchase my Christmas cards when they go on sale for the following year.  I can get a box of 12 for around a $1!  I always make sure I pick up a few boxes of my favorite designs.  

Do you like to spend a lot on cards?  I used to, but over the years I have changed my way of doing them.  I display them for the appropriate amount of time and then they get recycled.  I just don't like spending a lot on them and I don't like the clutter.

I actually think giving a box of mixed cards would be the PERFECT Christmas gift for a grandparent, or really anyone.  They have boxes where there are x number of birthday, sympathy, thank you, ect.  Plus they are fairly cheap.  Or you could always make your own cards and get creative!  

This has been linked up to Frugal Tuesday Tip

No comments:

Post a Comment