Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Homemade Yogurt

Do you remember me writing about my "green" goals a few weeks ago?  One of my goals was to cut even more processed junk out of my families diet. We have done a lot over these past few years, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement around here!  I am not ashamed to admit that I am far from perfect in living a natural lifestyle.  I strive to be as natural and healthy as possible, but I am a work in progress.  

About a year ago I bought a yogurt maker and used it a few times.  Then it got shoved to the back of my cabinet where it had long been forgotten.  I actually do not mind homemade yogurt at all.  I do add thawed frozen fruit to mine right before I eat it, but I think it tastes good.  It is really good in smoothies and homemade frozen yogurt (post on that coming soon)!  

If you are used to the sugar filled yogurt in the stores then it might take you a few tries to get a taste for it.  Otherwise, it tastes just as good as anything I have ever bought.

Tonight I thought it was time to pull that yogurt maker out again.  After all, I did write my goals down for the world to see.  At 5am I will be putting 6-6oz containers of delicious yogurt in the fridge.


There are many yogurt makers on the market.  This is the one I have and I think it works great.  I follow the instructions it came with.

  1. Pour 1qt. milk into a saucepan.  Heat milk until it boils, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove pan from heat and all milk to cool to room temperature.  Pour into pitcher.
  3. Add 1/2 c. natural yogurt into the milk. (Use store bought, or some leftover from your previous batch).  Stir until well blended.  Do NOT add any sugars or flavorings in the yogurt making process.
  4. Pour evenly into jars.  Do NOT put lids on jars.
  5. Place the cover on the yogurt maker, plug in, and turn to desired cooking time.
  6. I cook mine for 10 hours because I like thick yogurt.  The shorter you cook it the thinner it will be.
  7. Once your yogurt maker dings it will automatically shut off.  
  8. Put the jars in the fridge for several hours until chilled.
I like to keep some thawed frozen fruit in the fridge, so I can add it and the juice into my yogurt.  Strawberry, mango and blueberry are my favorites!

Isn't homemade yogurt so easy to make?!  At the grocery store I pay $.99 for a 6oz container of organic yogurt.  CRAZY!  At home I can make it for about $.34 a container plus the cost of the fruit I add in.  That is a HUGE savings!  The yogurt maker pays for itself in no time.  

Now I know you do not have to have a yogurt maker to make yogurt.  I know there are sites where people make it using a crockpot and cooler.  If you want to try this method I would search YouTube.  

This is just another way I am trying to cut the junk out of our diets.  Plus I am saving money too!  Let me know if you try this, or if you already make your own.   This would be perfect to start your young kids on now.  That way they will never miss the sugary junk from the grocery store! 

This post is linked up with Frugal Tuesday Tip.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for joining the Frugal Tuesday Tip at http://juliecache.com/2012/12/10/frugal-tuesday-tip-dec-11-2012/.html I've made yogurt in my crockpot and yes, it saves a LOT of money. if you regularly have yogurt in your diet, you have to be disciplined about making it. once we're back from vacation in Jan, I intend to join you in making yogurt.

    ReplyDelete