Sunday, September 23, 2012

Candle To Candy Dish...

This little girl may or may not have broken my candy dish recently....





She may look all innocent, but there IS a reason why we call her "Hurricane Olive".  Me being cheap and all, I decided to hit up Goodwill to find a new candy dish.  That was a joke!  I love Goodwill, but whenever I am looking for something specific I can never find it.  I bet if I went their tomorrow there would be 5 candy dishes for sale.  :/  Oh well, I got creative!

I love Slatkin and Co. candles, but they are expensive at $20 each full price!  I rarely buy them for full price.  Heck, I rarely buy them!  I generally just go to the BeanPod candle outlet.  A while ago I did decide to splurge a little on the Slatkin and Co. candles and got a few of them for 50% off.  $10 per candle is still steep in my book.  

I feel bad just throwing the candles away once they are burnt, so I decided to turn it into a candy dish.


 Step 1:  Get one used candle.  :)


 Step 2:  Put candle in the freezer overnight.  I think you might be able to get away with a few hours, but you want it so cold the remaining wax cracks.

Step 3:  Take a butter knife and pry the cracked pieces of wax out.  Once you get the first piece out the others come out really easily.

Step 4:  Wash candle in hot soapy water.  This will get the remaining wax particles out and the label off the front.  These candles have labels that come off really easily!

Step 5:  Even though I washed it by hand really well, it still smelled like candle.  I decided to put the jar and lid in the dishwasher.


Step 6: Take out of dishwasher and fill with your favorite candy!  I love how candy corn looks in jars. 

This is a really easy way to re-use something you would normally throw away.  You can use clean candle jars for so many things...office supplies, cotton balls, hair ties, ect.  Use your imagination! 

This post has been linked up to Frugal Tuesday Tip HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment