Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cleaning Your Front Loader

Do you clean your washer?  I never really used to when I had my old top loader.  It just never got really dirty.  I would wipe around where the lid sat, but that was about all.  About 5.5 years ago my old washer and dryer both decided to die at the same time.  I would have to run the dryer 3 and 4 times just to get our towels dry.  Let's just say that isn't very energy efficient.  My old top loader then decided it would die in the middle of the cycle.  It was so frustrating!  

That is when I decided it was time to go to the appliance store in my small town.  Some 5+ years ago there wasn't much choice on what styles and brands.  Plus I was at my SMALL towns store, but I like to keep business local.  That is when I found my Whirlpool Duets.  Let me tell you they have come down in price A LOT since I bought mine so many years ago.  

All in all I love my front loader.  I really do, but it gets gross!  I have learned a few tricks over the years to keep this from happening.  

1. I try to clean my washer every 4-6 weeks.  

I take the detergent tray out and let it soak in a sink with 1/4 teaspoon Basic H2.  This stuff is amazing and cleans basically everything in my house!

2.  I add 1 Tablespoon of Basic G to the bleach compartment and run my washer on the CLEAN cycle.  



3.  I leave the door open after I take the wet clothes out.  It grosses me out to have the door closed while it is damp inside.  Mold can grow in there!  I also make sure to wipe out the door seal on occasion, but since using Basic G on a regular basis I don't have to very often.  Basic G is not only a germicide, but also a FUNGICIDE! 

4.  I use Shaklee's Get Clean Laundry products!  These products are amazing.  My husband and I both have sensitive skin.  My husbands especially!  When I was in college I bought Era brand detergent once because it was on sale.  I got a horrible blotchy rash on my torso from it!  
 
My husbands skin is so sensitive I had to start making my own detergent because he would basically get a chemical burn on his chest/back from commercial detergents.  Shaklee's products are even more natural than the ones I was making!  The powder costs about the same as the powder version I was making and Shaklee's products are a time saver for me. I know from experience that Shaklee's powdered detergent lasts MONTHS!
 
I used to use bleach on our whites.  Not anymore!  Shaklee's Nature Bright is AMAZING.  I have even gotten melted butter out of shirts (don't ask ;)).  




Do you clean your washer?  I think it is important to maintain expensive items.  No one wants to waste money, so if you take care of your possessions then they will last longer.  

Don't forget to enter my Basic H2 giveaway HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment